What's in name?




 There's something about train rides in India. Especially if you get a second tier, sleeper seat for a long journey across the Indian states. It isn't the posh luxury of crystal clean compartments or extra sanitized door knobs nor the company of elite people with a silver spoon stuck right up their bottoms but the way you will see a metal case with windows and doors(four in specific) filled with strangers who speak no same language,but end up forging friendships over their common delight in fucked up politics, the thrill of Indian Cricket and obviously the never-ending complaints about Gen-Z and the ultra-fake,ravishingly hideous and outrageously insane world!


 At some point,one might even think that all of the things that they have been doing in their life was to live up to that moment. It's not everyday that you brag to a stranger who looks like a runaway prisoner from what corner of the country about the rising cases of train robberies.  But that's what India does to your soul. Its air smells like a spell that can make anyone condone the long lost, ancestral bond between any two rock-hearted uncles as friends separated in Kumbh Mela,united by IRCTC. Another common sight is the transition from Friends to Haters. The day-mates are night-nemesis and the reasons are as bizarre as the lack of space for luggage retainment.


December for any month,any year,any time is the best time to plan a getaway. Especially when it's Christmas. A country like India,spares no moment in filling the air with the festive vibes. The Christmas magic flowing in with the chills of winter. Though, no three week holidays are awarded,the pre-Christmas prep over the weekdays make it all seem enigmatic. Boy,you could trade your soul with devil to freeze the time forever. However,winters and travelling by train in India are greeted with another major upheaval- Extra woollens. All time. All day long. I mean no shit,but by the time you reach Madhya Pradesh from Gujarat you feel like you have entered a new continent altogether!


Masks up, woollen clad;the colour of red-cherry tomato somewhere in the Sleeper Coach-5, I rested in my seat as the thrills of Christmas and the long journey awaiting me settled in the back of my head. It's one of those seats which are allotted to single,family-less passengers in the side berths. To make it feel less alone,they allot you a stranger to talk shit about reservations. Remember,what did I say about forging connections? And we thought, it's happiness that brings us together! Most of the times it's loneliness,on the contrary.


 My Instagram feed flooded with cutesy pictures of people and their families celebrating Christmas in all weird ways they can. There's that one picture of my sister,clinging on to her husband who looks like he is under a lot of peer pressure to get that pic clicked. In the background my nephew is holding what looks like her pearl necklace,aiming to shoot right at the bonfire and I immediately fear what would have happened next... It's not the kid I worry about. My brother in law's gotta bear the blame. Poor soul. I see a beep and damn! The phone's gonna be dead? Like DEAD-dead? I curse under my breath. 


Have you ever heard of luck. No-it's not about getting a lottery, it's about getting that perfect seat with a proper,working,charging point. Trust me,when I say I was born with no-luck. Naah,not bad luck...Bad luck is good things turned bad,no luck is nothing good happening. There's a difference. I smile at my allotted seat-mate/pretend I don't exist guy but he pays no heed. His eyes are juxtapositioned into his phone and he hums some trending song every other second...The lyrics go somewhat like - "Jaane meri Jaaneman..." And I almost cringed when he shrills his voice to sing the rest of the part. Had it been India's Got Talent,I could see three crosses on face but if it were Who's Got the Confidence,I will be rooting for this man! I made a mental note to plug-in some cotton before I make a run for a charging point.


"Umm...Hey,could you look after my things for a while? I'll be back right in a few minutes."


I say the words almost as a prayer. His lips part underneath his mask,his eyes rise up to meet mine and three words fall out-


"Okay. Be quick."


For your kind information,to search for the best charging point in the whole of your compartment,search for the lavatory. The charging point, near  the vanity mirror positioned right outside the lavatory is the one you're looking for ! No one told me that was what I had to do and I asked,begged,requested everyone to check if the charging point works and I was politely,angrily, suspiciously denied/rejected/scolded off 60 times. After the five long minutes, I found myself standing near the door, with a phone plunged into charging. The vanity mirror was hazed but I could make out the features of my eyes and I immediately regretted putting the mascara. Shouldn't have. Wouldn't have. I looked like a masked, woollen fur-ball with a cashmere cap and too-batty eyelashes. Too late. The cake,the chikkis, the ladoos,I see they aren't letting my mom's ambitions down! 


10%. Charging. The screen flashed and I wondered whether the 'Bachpan ka pyaar' make-do-singer was cursing me or was busy with his personal concert as an estimated of 15 minutes seemed to have passed. A kid. A man. A lady. A creep. Four people have entered and exited the lavatory since I have been standing in the passage. I partly felt like an intruder,standing here with an awkward makeup.

The boredom set in and a speck of drowsiness made me rub my eyes.


"Excuse me?"


I hear a husky voice coming from behind. I turn to see the source. The phone in my hand beeping a 30% assured life. The man, a young guy in his early twenties. His eyes are a shade darker brown than mine. A pair of rectangle glasses rest on his nose. His hair is styled like one of those actors in action movies. His lips hide behind his N95. A camo jacket,zipped all up and pitch black denim ending in dark blue sneakers. He strides forward,entering the passage and the air breathes of his cologne. Ahh! The strong masculine aroma tracing its way through the pores of my mask,right into my head and a jolt awakens my senses.


"Yeah?"


I sheepishly said. Words end in my throat and I speak no more. I shifted aside as he inched closer. My phone and charger in my hand with another moment gone. Enters his charger into the socket and I realized what just happened.


"Hey! I was charging my phone! I am not done."


I rebuked.


"Well,you should have said! You moved aside. The socket was empty."


He said nonchalantly.


"So? I have to charge it. You can carry on after I am done?"


I tried my best to sound polite and stand my ground.


"Well, maybe you can carry on after I am done?"


His audacity!


"Or you can carry on after I AM DONE!"


I proposed in a way I would threaten kids back home when they just won't keep their voices down. But this mogul was no kid! I crossed my arms to get the full dead-serious effect. He only inched closer. His cologne stifling my senses. God!


"Getting feisty,are we?"


He said in an almost whisper.


"If some Ego-flared people can't learn the concept of waiting...what can I do?"


The agitation almost apparent in voice.


"Calm down. You wait. I wait. Just the same?"


"What's this? A fucking titanic- You jump,I jump kinda reference for a charger spot!"


I laugh sarcastically.


"Fucking...Wait for the part where I ask you 'Where to miss?'..."


This guy knows how to take an insult and return it just back.


"Well, you sure make it look like you're dragging me through hell...What do they call guys like you! Ah! Misogynist!"


This might work. It always does.


"Playing the woman card? Or is it calling names game?"


He laughed infectiously. God. Don't appreciate. Retaliate,you fool!


"See you're wronged. I need the charging spot. I was here first!"


"Doesn't count if you back out!"


"You're one to say! Such an insolent..."


"You look like a pretty little sphere. Tryna get fiery again!"


"What did you just call me?"

Anger fumed up.


"A sphere. A cute one."


He laughed again. Here. We. Go.


"Oh really? And you look like one of those contortionist in a circus. Almost like a joker...no wait...Like a human tetrahedral!"


He looked aghast-ed. The circus reference worked. I didn't know this guy could be this self-conscious about names. Serves him out-right!


"Hello..."


I hear another,familiar voice. A jolt in my shoulder and I blink my eyes twice. I see my seat mate standing in the passage.


"You need to go to your seat. It's been 30 minutes! My station's up next at Durg."


I nodded my head and looked around for the audacious bastard. But he was nowhere to be found. 


"Did you see another guy in the lobby?"


"What guy?"


He looked at me questioningly.


"Nothing."


I must have been dreaming. This winter and my drowsiness. My phone flashed an 80%. That would do. I returned back to my seat. 


"Welcome to Durg Junction."


The announcements were heard aloud as the train halted to a stop at Durg Junction. My thoughts were occupied with the dream I had earlier. It felt so real and yet equally embarrassing. To think I will find a guy like him to argue over a charging spot! Maybe I need to check-in with a therapist.


Entered a guy with his luggage. In the faint light of the lobby,he seemed like a well built man with an extravagantly,handsome physique. His silhouette traversed the thirty some steps when he halted right where I sat. The pale light illuminated his face. A pang of familiarity resurfaced. It took me a moment to take in his features well. Rectangular glasses,Camo jacket, black denim and navy blue sneakers. Holy shit! My pupils might have dilated.


"I have a seat here!"


He sat gracefully,pushing his luggage in the empty space underneath the seat. I couldn't help but stare.


"Have we met before?"


He asked in the signature husky voice.


"Oh,never-mind."


He chimed in before I could speak more.


"So,where to miss?"


I thought he was shitting me. No,no what are the possibilities. It's just a coincidence. 


"To Pune."


I said shakingly.


"Oh. I see."


"What's your name?"


I blurted out even before I thought.


"Tetrahedral..."


To Shakespeare's famous question-'What's in name?'; it almost made me faint. Rest is history.

Post a Comment

0 Comments